Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ponte Rialto Boater




My new (to me) vintage straw boater arrived in the post last week and I am just now getting around to sharing some photos. As seen in the photograph to the right, the hat has "Ponte Rialto VENICE" printed on the inside lining.  The Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto in Italian) is the oldest of four bridges spanning the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy.  On the black leather hat band is printed, in gilt, "Made in Italy."  Interestingly, I found for sale online an identical Ponte Rialto straw boater among a group of Bing Crosby collectibles.  The description for that sale indicated that the hat was manufactured in the 1940s, but I cannot independently confirm that assertion.  Regardless, it is a well made straw hat that I will enjoy wearing this summer.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking for a boater hat to buy and I'm having a tough time. Does Ponte Rialto still sell new boater hats? Thanks for your kelp. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lengthy thread on The Fedora Lounge (www.thefedoralounge.com) called "Boater Faction!" It includes in-depth discussions about the availability of new boaters, and the potential benefits of vintage boaters. I'd recommend you peruse that thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must post a picture of yourself in the straw boater. I love hats and especially these. They are suitable for women, too, you know.

    Hope you are enjoying your summer.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete