Friday, October 23, 2009

Up Your Game


From My Cousin Vinny (1992):

Vinny Gambini:  What about these pants I got on?  You think they're okay?

Mona Lisa Vito:  Imagine you're a deer.  You're prancing along.  You get thirsty.  You spot a little brook.  You put your little deer lips down to the cool, clear water.  BAM!  A f&&kin' bullet rips off part of your head.  Your brains are lying on the ground in little bloody pieces.  Now I ask ya, would you give a f&&k what kind of pants the son-of-a-bitch who shot you was wearing?
I mentioned in my very first post that I enjoy hunting and would include in this blog some discussion of classic hunting and outdoor attire.  I give thoughtful consideration to the clothing that I purchase and wear.  This contemplation extends to the clothing that I wear when I engage in outdoor pursuits.  It would be easy to just throw on some WalMart camo when I go hunting, but I prefer to dress more stylishly even if I'm going to be sitting alone in a tree.  Some may find this practice unusual.  I respectfully disagree.

Consider that some of the most commonly worn items of men's apparrel have their roots in sporting endeavors.  The ubiquitous polo shirt was originally designed and worn on the tennis courts by French tennis champion Rene Lacoste.  The classic Brooks Brothers button-down collar was inspired by English polo players who buttoned down their collar wings to keep them from flapping during play.  The bi-swing, or action back, detail that is found on some odd jackets originally provided extra freedom of movement for shooters and golfers.

Classic men's style owes much of its heritage to the sportsman.  Consider that heritage the next time you dress to play.  Dress well and up your game.

No comments:

Post a Comment